An update from Dirk Diggler's couch

So I bought the big orange couch from a few posts ago.  Thank you for the encouragement people, and the answer to that post is "Yes, I am nuts."  The couch got delivered and has been living in my garage because it smells like a chain smoking granny.  I didn't notice this at the store, but that might have been because the whole place probably smelled like that.  My two year old's face pretty much sums up how I felt too.  My husband and I joked about keeping it in the garage, opening the garage door and have a bunch of people over to roller skate and drink beers.  Keep the neighbors guessing! 

Lemons to lemonade.  So for the next step... reupholstering.  I have no patience to wait weeks for it, so I am doing it myself. This weekend.  I've reup-ed some things before, never a couch, but my motto is usually "How hard can it be?"  Worse case it'll be good entertainment for all of you.  I spent the good part of Earth Day ripping the fabric off of it and discovered that it was also my new sofa's birthday...
Kind of creepy, 27 years to the day. 
And the whole time I was thinking it was from the 70's because of the orange.  I was wrong about the color too.

 Once the fabric started coming off I learned that it was originally mauve and had faded to orange.  I know, this couch just keeps getting uglier.  So it was a Smurf-era pink couch.
So, it is now stripped and aired and in my house awaiting new fabric.

I starting tacking on a heavy neutral linen that I thought I had enough of, but this thing eats fabric!  SO now I am running to Zimman's this morning to see if I can find a match and get more.  Wish me luck, I bought it 7 years ago.  If I can't find it I think I might go for a velvet or a chunky texture.  Would love a print, but I don't think I can handle keeping it straight on a curved sofa.  I think I am going to put tufted buttons on the back and  I haven't decided whether the channeling on the base is staying or going.  I kind of like it, in a roller rink kind of way.   I had to keep the gross fabric on that part on the couch in case I decide to recreate it.  I googled my brains out trying to get ideas for this biggin'...

Very similar with a smooth front, but kind of boring.


Same deal, loose cushion.

Tufted seat.

Could not find a picture of anything with a channeled base, just lots of channeled marshmallow stuff in KW's pad...
SO, while I run to the fabric store I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any ideas of things I can do to it, or if anyone has a cool couch image e-mail me!  My brain is mush.  Thanks!

6 comments:

Tammy@InStitches said...

Mauve fades to orange, that is awesome. Or maybe it's all the nicotine. It's going to be great when you are done !

Krista said...

If anyone can come up with an answer, you can!!!! I love that you found the birthday!! Keep us posted!!

kiersten13 said...

Love it!!! Can't beleive you got that much done yesterday.

Sugar said...

Best of luck. I can't wait to see what fabulous things you do!!

Unknown said...

Damn I enjoy you!! That pinky purple must have been something in it's day! xx

LindsB said...

I can not believe you took this on yourself! It came out just beautiful, I never would have guessed it was the same couch!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails