Halfway through, cheers!

It is August 1st, and in my opinion the middle of summer.  
June and September are usually decent as far as weather goes, May and October are crap shots, but July and August are pretty much a sure thing as far as fabulous goes.  
So as we cross this hump-day of summer, lets try to see the glass as half full...
with a mojito.  

I give you my summer staple:

THE WATERMELON MOJITO
makes 6-8 servings
(kid's version to follow- why should grown ups have all the fun?)

This is the mass quantity, lazy summer version. 
Perfect for when you have a crowd and don't feel like handcrafting each mojito.
(I make them a lot, and they take time.)
Nobody got time for that!


You will need:
 2 c. of watermelon diced
a bunch of mint
4 limes
1 lemon
1/2 c. sugar
8 oz. rum (give or take)
bottle of seltzer/ club soda
a pitcher & ice


Cut the melon into bite sized pieces. 
There are a lot of recipes that have you pureeing the melon, 
but I like to eat while I drink- 
it makes it last longer, and I feel like less of a boozer.

 Chop your most of your mint with scissors (forget muddling for mass quantities). 
Put mint and melon in the pitcher.
Leave a few springs for garnish.
I got these awesome herb scissors from my niece when she worked for Crate & Barrel... 

 I use them for basil, cilantro... and mostly mint.
You will thank me later.  She also got my citrus squeezer there too... 
 Highly recommend both- makes a great hostess gift for the avid mojito maker.
 Next cut 3 limes and one lemon in half and squeeze into the pitcher.
Slice the 4th lime into thin slices for garnish.
 Add 1/2 cup of sugar.
 Pour in the rum and then top off with club soda.  
My pitcher held about (6) 8 oz servings, so you may want to adjust for larger pitchers.
Stir well and let sit a few minutes to allow mint to diffuse and sugar to fully dissolve.
 Pour over ice and garnish.

 The Kid-Friendly Mojito

3 oz. Newman's Own Limeade (or whatever brand you like)
pour over ice
top with seltzer
garnish with watermelon chunks, mint and a lime wedge

And yes.  
My kid's have told strangers (and their preschool teacher) that they drink mojitos with Mom & Dad.
Fun explaining that one! 

Cheers!

6 comments:

LindsB said...

What cool parents you are!! I love the virgin one for them. Just means more rum for the adults :)

therelishedroost said...

that was a fun post!!
One pitcher for the kids and one for the adults!!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!! Thanks for the share!! the best thing about this is that it is so easy to make!!
garden gnomes

Unknown said...

Gotta try this. Looks fantastic!
xo Nancy

Unknown said...

P.S. Love your spoonflower fabrics Danika!!!
Nancy

Khammany said...

Looks refreshing! I love mojitos and I love watermelon, can't go wrong with this one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails