Painted Geometric Drapes

 I had the flu a few weeks ago and spent a week in bed and a good deal of time staring at my unfinished bedroom and overdosing on Pinterest.  Once I was well, I had a crazy new project list, a pile of mojo and the sudden need to cut bangs (thanks again Pinterest) which I did almost immediately due to pent-up impulsiveness.  I also started wielding a paint brush like a crazy lady.  (If you follow my Instagram you probably already know this and saw the peach office going down- still on the fence on that one).  One a more successful note,  I finished my bedroom drapes.  I took my old white IKEA panels and painted new life into them...
I did this about a year ago with a black and white version that was looser

 
and more squiggly for an O'verlays shoot:
This time I wanted a more geometric look and was inspired by Kelly Wearstler (once again).
Her pattern is on more of a grid, and I wanted mine to feel a bit more fragmented.  I found the easiest way to lay out the design was to use masking tape.  I was able to move it around, and when I got a layout I liked I just traced along the edge of the tape. 

 Once traced, I pulled the tape and mixed up my paint.  I used good old latex wall paint in a few shades of navy I had on hand.  I thinned it with a little water (about 4 parts paint to 1 part water).  You don't want it too runny because it will bleed, too thick is hard to drag across the surface-so test it out on a scrap of fabric first.
 I used a 1" and a 3/4" artist brush.  First I traced over my main lines with the 1" brush.
This left me with a good amount of white area...
 You will have very "brush strokey" lines.  Its not at all crisp, so if you want that look you might want to tape your lines out.  I like the painterly look for this application.
 I then filled in the white areas by using the 3/4" brush and adding connecting lines...
before:
 after:
If you happen to drip, just add a line over it.
Finally, let the panel dry. 
 I was impatient with the first and hung it immediately.  
I got some wet paint smudges, so just wait- trust me.  Or use a hairdryer.

I did 4 panels total, and each one is different...

And here they are up:
This weekend I am hoping to finish the peach office.  What are your plans?  
I can't wait for spring and to start working on the outside, but unfortunately we still have a ways to go with all the snow.  In the meantime I hope to channel all my "hut happy" into getting some indoor projects off the list.

Have a great weekend!

13 comments:

the cape on the corner said...

ack! so good!

Kristin@bliss-athome.com said...

I love them so much! I am going to paint some pillows for my living room and I might have to do your curtain idea for my master. If I do, I'll be sure to link back. Love them! xo Kristin

Unknown said...

These are excellent!! Love them!

House of Pemberley said...

Fantastic. Love them and am glad you are feeling better. We need to see the bangs. :)

Angie said...

Catching up on your design escapades (Got a 7-4 job and lost touch... Dagnabit!) So many great ideas - Can't wait to get painting again, myself! Thanks for sharing, Danika, your talent amazes and inspires me!

Unknown said...

Those draperies TOTALLY rock!! Wow.

Unknown said...

Thank you, yet again, for another wonderful idea!!!

Whitley

Leah said...

beautiful! looks great in your bedroom.

CohesiveRandomness said...

I've been on the hunt for a "free style" painting technique for fabric, and I knew I should've stopped here first!!! I'm about to paint some fabric for a little reupholstery project and am definitely going to use this technique! Awesome job!

Brandi said...

Really beautiful and elegant!! You did a great job. Your home is so gorgeously decorated.

Unknown said...

Those are GORGEOUS!

Anonymous said...

They are gorgeous! Love them!
But hate to ask: are they machine or hand washable or do they have to be dry cleaned? Thanks!

Danika Herrick said...

You can machine wash these since they are cotton. You just want to wash them prior to painting to pre-shrink them. Also, use an iron to set the paint once it completely dry.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails