Entrepreneur Love- 900BLOK

Sometimes the best ideas are so simple. 
Take the 50 States Collection of coffee and side tables from 900BLOK.
The brainchild of interior designer Julie Purpura, with help from good friend and millworker Jonathan Lancaster, these tables are high functioning statement pieces...


I am a huge fan of small businesses and self starters, so I asked Julie why she started her company and what inspires her:

As an Interior Designer, I feel like it's something you live and breathe all of the time.  I was sitting at home on the weekends (for years) with all of these ideas running through my head.  I decided to give Jonathan, my college best friend, a call.  He owns his own millwork company out of Hilton Head, SC.  After we talked for a bit, we decided to collaborate on some pieces, which basically meant, I design what I want and he makes it ;)  Thus, 900BLOK was conceived (we both lived on the 900 block during our time at Winthrop University in SC).

I design furniture for clients all of the time.  It's a ton of fun, but they're usually very expensive "serious" pieces that I could never afford or even FIT into my tiny apartment.  So I thought about what I would want and what most people want to buy. I've noticed that wherever I've lived, there's always a HUGE sense of pride that everyone has for their city and state. Back home in South Carolina, the state flag is EVERYWHERE.  Being a southern transplant now living in Chicago, I'm proud of my home state and want to represent in a subtle way while adding some personality to my home.
Show some love and support!
Please check out more here
and like them on Facebook here.

4 comments:

LindsB said...

love these! What a great idea put into reality- I would love a Mass one!

Kym said...

I love these, but since I live in Colorado, I guess I could say that all of my tables are state tables ;)

Stacy CUrran said...

Thanks for the intro to this company! What a great idea
Stacy

Brandy@MAKE+MODEL said...

I love this post and I also love to hear about small businesses. There are so many creative people in this world. Sometimes it is mind blowing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails