Beni, Sock Test, Cheryle's Butt and Power Tools

My Homemade Beni Ourain Rug is done for now (see how to here).  Its summer and hot, and I have ADD, so I went with a partial criss cross design. I'll do it up more if I get the urge come fall, but I kind of like it open ended.  I did some rug swapery and threw it in my living room.  I'll take better pictures once I fix this room up.  Now all I see is a stark white coffee table begging to be painted peacock blue or something...
So here is the update on Rit Dye with a sock test.  Before...
So I dragged my feet up and down the stripes and got this...

Not too bad. Similar to a new pair of dark jeans on a white chair. I think the fact that I watered the dye down helped a lot.

So then Cheryle showed up in white shorts and I made her sit all over the rug.
All in the name of blogging.  Her shorts looked great and she refused to let me take an ass shot.

So to recap... Rit Dye + shaggy wool rug= Beni Ourain on the cheap. A Flokati rug would work too.
I'd love to do color blocks for a Boucherouite look next. That won't be any time soon. The DIY bug has almost left the building and the beach is calling.


My kids want to make skimboards and found a tutorial on YouTube, so that will be next...but first Cheryle and I have to whip up a sunburst mirror for one of her clients.

We played with power tools, one of my favorite things to do. 
(In the basement of WAY too much crap)
Making another one of these from old fence pickets... see how here.

Its going in a pool house, fancy, I know.
I'll post pics once its up.

Have a FANTABULOUS weekend!
xo

11 comments:

My Interior Life said...

That rug is too cool for words. Jealous!!

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

Peacock blue indeed. Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Danika - I haven't stopped by in ages. I love the rug and the fence post mirror. You are too crafty! I also LOVE your Overlays. What a genious idea. I think I am going to get me some of those for my bathroom vanity when I get around to redoing it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Erica Cook said...

You really are a genius. Enough said. xo

Ms. Manor said...

Loves it all

Mary Ann Pickett said...

great rug...I imagine lots of parties here but no red wine. Love the turquoise console!

Unknown said...

Love the rug, genius and adore the mirror. I can't wait to find out how. It is awesome! Thanks for the inspiration!
xox
hooper

Mrs.Grinder said...

i just read back on your blog all the way to April of 2009, it's safe to say i'm obsessed. through your blog i think i might have found close to 20 different blogs & DIY's. your house is seriously beautiful! can't wait for the future blogs!

Claudia Fabiana said...

You're so kooky, I have to follow you! lol The rug looks great! My vote for the round table is orange...

Ciao

LindsB said...

I am now on the lookout for a shag rug and some old wood picket fences- I need to get my Danika creativity on!

Brandi@ Flights of Whimsy said...

I always wondered how well the dye stayed on. How hard is it to vacuum this rug? Great project!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails