Make It: Beni Ourain Rug


I forced myself to do some DIY goodness today.  I had an old white wool shag rug I got from Overstock about 5 years ago.
It had been banished to the guest room because it sheds like a German Shepard ...

  So.  I have had Beni Ourain rugs on my wish list for a while, and decided to finally attempt my idea of dying my white wool one myself.  First I mulled through some patterns...
and decided on a basic criss-cross...
safe, will go tailored or eclectic, whatever my mood.

Next I bought some black Rit dye and mixed it up in an empty spray bottle with some salt...
Did a test swatch. Wanted it a bit darker, so I added more dye.

And then I got to work.  First I laid it out with a dropcloth underneath. Next I "drew" my first line in with a ruler...
 I took 2 old plastic cutting boards (mine were from IKEA, super cheaps!) and an old ruler and began parting the rug into sections along the line, using the cutting boards as protective guards...
I used a bucket and a yoga block to hold them up (use what you got!)...

and I sprayed on the dye.

You will need to massage it in so wear gloves. Just keep repeating as you move down the line...

And repeat and repeat and repeat...

ANd repeat...





So this is where I am at.  Check back in a day or two to see it finished and dry in its new room.  And I can tell you if there is any weirdness with the dye too.  THis takes a while and hurts your back from hunching. You've been warned.
But will be worth it if it works.  Free Beni (well almost) and my poor rug gets a new life.


UPDATE:  It worked and it passed the sitting on it in white shorts test.
(see here)



23 comments:

Nichole Loiacono said...

Dear Lord, I am soooo intrigued. It's already looking veeeeery promising. Great idea!

Karen said...

That is awesome. Has me thinking I could do the same thing with an entrance rug in my office that has some oil stains (thanks UPS). Wonder if I could change if from stained beige to black? Looking forward to your 'reveal'. Karen

LindsB said...

OK seriously you just can do everything can't you? LOVE this so far!

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

So crafty! I kind of like it in it's unfinished, abstract state too.

Elizabeth said...

This is the best DIY ever! I spent over 2k on my Beni so if this works out I will be bummed/elated for you!
-e (modern24seven.blogspot.com)

Heather Peterson said...

you are a genius. plain and simple.

Amber Interiors said...

AGAIN with these damn genius ideas...
I am tweeting this NOW

jonalynn said...

Hot damn! Danika = creative mastermind! Can't wait to see the finished rug.

turn up the rad blog
turn up the rad creative

Anonymous said...

You are a pure genius! Please God let it work. I have a white shag rug that's in need of a makeover!

Lily said...

That looks SO amazing !! Cant wait to see it all finished.

xxLily
goldandgray.com

My Interior Life said...

Never would I have thought of this! Amazing! Just another genius idea - add it to the list. Can't wait to see it totally done, although it's looking mighty fine now!

Dina @ Honey + Fitz said...

This is insanity. I wish I could live in your brain for just a day! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Andi said...

I've been diggin those rugs too. Great job! Can't wait to see it in a rom!

Samantha said...

You are so creative and daring. And hunched over.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are creative. I would have never in a million years thought that up. Nice work! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Kristen said...

it looks so cool! i've thought about doing this, myself. i love i!

Erin said...

Love this!!! Great job.

Clementine & Olive said...

Oh my gosh!!! I can't wait to do this asap. Genius!

Anonymous said...

Your rug looks great! What a cool idea too... I've got this linked to my rugs post as well today, nice job!

Unknown said...

This is fantastic Danika! I did an overdyed rug DIY and it turned out great. Great ingenuity! Where did you use the finished product?
Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Danika Herrick said...

Hi Nancy! It is in my downstairs guest room due to the shedding factor.

Veronica-Louise said...

Do you know if this is something I could do on a flokati?

Danika Herrick said...

HI Veronica,

I think so- both are wool. I would try to trim a bit of wool of in an unnoticeable spot and do a test to see if it is color fast. Keep me posted!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails