I'm so glad Jenna from Rain on a Tin Roof and Jamie from So Much Better with Age asked me to partake in this series about defining your style. It will span the next three months and address different areas of blogger's homes.
I really thought it would be so easy, but instead I learned I'm more of a big hot style mess-
and I'm OK with that.
The one thing about style I've learned is that you shouldn't be able to describe it in one word.
It's something that evolves constantly.
(If if didn't I'd still have a "mushroom cloud" perm and look like I stepped out of Saved by the Bell.)
Around here I am constantly changing things up because as a designer/blogger I get bombarded by new ideas and pretty stuff on a daily basis. I also have a recessive hoarder gene that surfaces every time I pass a curbside toss or a "to good to be true deal". I envision the possibilities, and like a spinster to cats I have a new addition to my house-most likely a new light fixture.
My living room has been reinvented at least 6 times since we bought this house in 2009.
Here are just a few incarnations...
up to the day we started renovations in 2012,
what a mess!...
and here it is currently:
Although the renovations are almost complete, the decorating will never be. I have to be painting or slipcovering something. If I'm not I just don't feel normal.
So what is my style?
Well today I'd have to say I'm an Eclectic, Mod-Cottage, Beachy, Preppy mess.
And that might change tomorrow!
I think decorating around here can be likened to a weather forecast.
There is a 35% chance I will paint the walls a new color.
(This number drops every year because the more I do it the less fun it gets- I also have kids now)
A 20% chance of the sewing machine getting dragged out and then if it does...
the chance of slipcovers is 10% and the chance of pillows is 90% (cause I'm lazy).
And a 50% chance of me swapping out lamps or accessories.
My style is beach influenced with a nod to mid-century. I love a good white slipcover- its a blank canvas for the "next" style or color. I'm also a lover of color & pattern- I can pollute a white slipcover or wall like nobody's business! I have been fighting my "More is More" sickness lately and toning things down a bit with a softer palate. I've managed to stick to soft blue-greens and yellow for MONTHS, but honestly I think its because things have been really busy with work. Give me a few days of idleness and this place would be completely different!
Another defining element of our space is also usually old signage or letters and in this case an there is old coke machine and some metal "H"s all thanks to my husband. He used to be a sign maker, and collects that sort of stuff like I collect light fixtures and pillows.
And finally, paint is everywhere- from the stripes overhead to the walls and lampshades.
Its my favorite go to fix hands down. It's cheap and easy. I would be lost without it!
I have a two-toned front door.
Soft and subtle blue when opened, or in your face "the sun is still shining" acid yellow when closed.
My entertainment center is an old IKEA Besta painted white with crown added.
with "sprinkles" on the inside (cause they're delicious).
Right off my living room is another living room-
it's a relatively new "fireplace room" or "where we sit, drink and ponder stuff room".
It is a little den-like nook that we spend a lot of time in during the winter. (Please note the makeshift laptop Minecraft area my boys set up on side tables and chairs in the lower right hand corner.) Nothing fancy see, if you want prettier pictures here is a link from Christmas time.
I still haven't committed to a wall color, just a door color. My goal is to make it cozy.
It's currently undergoing a change. As you can see,
there is a greater than 10% chance of slipcover happening- with the possibility of drapes...
Thanks so much for stopping over! Please hop over to see Roeshel at DIY Showoff , she is up next.
And be sure to check out all the other What's Your Style players...
But best of all be sure to enter the Mohawk Rug Giveaway...a Rafflecopter giveaway