How To Happy Hour- Paint Your Own Fabric

OK folks, here it is...  Handmade Fabric wins! After watching this through I realized we needed to drink more before hand. I kind of feel like the NPR ladies from SNL
in some parts. Schwetty Balls anyone?
So go mix yourself a French (Champagne) Mojito here and get ready to make some fabric.   We will be mixing our own homemade paint from dried milk and powdered pigment, as well as testing out a couple products on the market. 
This technique can be done on small items such as pillows, window treatments, handbags... or major yardage if you have patience and have alot of time to kill.
 I'm still new to editing and thought I'd be able to add the material list to the movie as they were used. (I'm sure I can, I'm just not savvy enough yet.)
 I've listed the Materials List below. 
Also, I had to cut a few segments out (fabric markers and pens), but those are a no brainer... if you can write or draw you can use them. If you have any questions about anything please contact me.

Also be sure to check out Kristy from Hyphen Interior's post. She painted a wingback chair, I mean completely changed its color. Amazing!

Materials Used :
Medium Weight Cotton
Heavy Weight Linen
Powdered Milk
Powdered Pigments (available here and here)
Dye-na-Flow by Jacquard
Crayola Fabric Markers
Simply Spray Fabric Paint from AC Moore
Brushes
Stencil Paper/Stencils
Imagination and Inspiration
Iron for setting paint

6 comments:

Danielle Sigwalt Interiors said...

Thanks for sharing! Schwetty balls...haha. My mother and I have been stenciling for years. That was a great tip you gave about making sure your surface is covered with plastic or something protective, I learned the hard way years ago and ruined a dining room table. What was I thinking???!! No worries though because I just repainted it. And milk paint is great...I use it on new terracotta pots to give them an old world feel. Fun video..

Anonymous said...

Loved the video. Loved that you could show how you played with it all.

Hyphen Interiors said...

Love your name!

Thanks so much for stopping by. That’d be great if you want to link once it’s done! How sweet of you.

If the pillows are a good indication, it still feels like fabric, but is a little rough, but mainly if you go against the grain of the fabric. Not actually sand papery or uncomfortable, though.

Sure would make it possible to “re-upholster” with less cost… then maybe do it the traditional way later.

I commented back on my blog:

Danika, I think you are talking about simple spray fabric paint. I've read mixed reviews, but my issue with them was the color range. They only had like 16 colors, so there was no teal... forced me to go this route, but this also may be more controllable, yet slower.

Thanks again for the textile painting post.

P.S. Your comment came up as no-reply so I couldn't just reply to the comment via email.

Samantha said...

You guys are amazing. I could never stencil after a mojito.

Looking forward to the rug project. One of my first DIYs was a zebra rug from vinyl and a Sharpie. Oh how they laughed.

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

I might try this once I figure out what colors I want. Thanks for sharing!

Hyphen Interiors said...

Danika, I posted the final reveal and a tutorial, if you are interested. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails