Update: One year ago today...

...I painted my Formica kitchen countertops to look like marble. 
I have received a lot of questions about how it was holding up over the past year so I decided to show you (and also I realized how many changes my kitchen has undergone!)

Here is my Ikea Docksta table I also painted today.
This surface has the most wear since it used for homework and eating. There are a few permanent marker spots I can't remove, but I figure I can paint them out...
 Here is was a year ago...
 The counters one year ago...
 And today...
Upclose now... 
 I do have a few mystery marks I can't remove.  A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser takes off most marks and stains though. For those that are stubborn I will eventually paint them and add a fresh coat of polyurethane to the entire counter. That is the secret to keeping them looking new.
 What I found entertaining was all the changes. 
Yes. It is a well known fact I like to change things up and I might be 
crazy when it comes to all things decorative. 
 To me paint is like underwear and I change mine often.
I was one of those kids that rearranged their room monthly, so this has been going on for a long time and I don't see it ending soon. I also get bored easily and am way too visually stimulated. 

In one year the kitchen had:
4 wall colors (turquoise, white, pink, and blue)
3 light fixtures
2 tables
2 types of chairs 
2 different curtain panels
and we replaced the dishwasher, refrigerator and faucet.
Phew!
(the pink, orange and purple kitchen)


(the "pink for a day- then the men in my life had to have opinions" kitchen)

 And the present kitchen.  Got my pink in little punches.
 The only remaining original appliance is the Brady Bunch ovens. 
The top one broke, so they too will be leaving soon.

 The one thing that hasn't changed? 
The orange mudroom...


6 comments:

Brandi@ Flights of Whimsy said...

Those have held up really well! I was thinking this would be nice on my docksta but I'm no painter in any sense. I would keep the mudroom too, it's gorgeous!

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

do you sleep? seriously!

I love each style and I'm impressed at how durable those counters have been.

Dana Frieling said...

I'd love to know where you found your drapes and/or the fabric you used for the drapes. They rock! Thanks, girl.

Unknown said...

A girl after my heart! My house is the same as this... I'm not alone! All four kitchen designs are totally slammin' tho I must admit, a lover of all things pink, the pink version with that insane chandelier was pretty sweeeeet! Nice work all the way around!

Whitley

SHERRY HART said...

I love when other people are crazy like me!!!

Anonymous said...

I just came across you through another blog and I have to say your tutorial and results are fantastic. I have a table that needs repainting soon and I am not considering doing this technique. Though I have to say I am surprised you haven't painted your cabinets. Or maybe you have since this post and I haven't seen it yet.

I also Like to change paint and décor frequently, but my husband has set a limit of every 3 years for paint. I could probably get the front hall and kitchen redone by myself in a day when he is at work and my mom has the kids I am just not sure yet what I want to do and have many other little projects to do first.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails